If you’re considering hiring a doula, it’s a great idea to meet with potential doulas and ask them some questions. Most doulas offer a free initial visit as part of their packages so that you can get to know each other and see if you might work well together. Here are some questions you might want to ask when you meet your potential doula, adapted from the DONA website:
- What training have you had?
- Tell me about your experience as a doula.
- What is your birthing philosophy?
- How do you see yourself supporting both mother and partner during the birth?
- At what point during our birthing time will you join us?
- Will you join us at home, or at our birthing location?
- Do you have a back-up doula in case you can’t make it to our birth for some reason? Will I have the chance to meet your back-up?
- What is your fee?
- What is included in your doula package?
- May I reach out to you during the pregnancy, or after the birth, with questions?
Questions to Ask When Interviewing Doulas:
Depending on your circumstances, you might also want to ask things like:
- Do you have experience with our chosen method of childbirth preparation (HypnoBabies, HypnoBirthing, Bradley, Lamaze, etc.)?
- Would you consider bartering for your services? I can offer ____________ (fill in the blank with a service or product you can offer in place of some or all of the doula’s fees).
Have fun meeting with doulas in your area!